tannerfrench

Bobbin Recomendations

This is all you need to tie jigs. Coat and Clark Upholstery thread 137 mill 150 yard spools scissors Razor blade for trimming Umbrella skirt tag ends ( silicone skirts ) do not use any type of glue to secure your knots. That is forbidden. Like I said 44 years in this business I tend to know what im talking about.

IMG_20240829_145631257.thumb.jpg.83e90183a6a97d9983fda8aa6e2ff78e.jpg

I'm with Jig Man and just buy mine locally.

For me it's a necessity especially for hair jigs and stuff like that.

I don't think a guy could really tie hair jigs without a bobbin.

Different jigs require different thread.

IMHO The heavier denier is too much for smaller crappie size jigs, say 140 denier on a crappie jig. But, for bigger stuff a heavier denier is better, say 220 denier.

I usually use Sally Hansen hard as nails on the threads just for extra insurance after whip finishing.

I'd hate to have a jig come apart on me.

⁰⁰When im tying bucktail/round rubber combo jigs or bucktail/silicone jigs the heads I pour are modified to except the bucktail so I only wrap thread three time and loop lock in place the and the modification of the head collar lock the bucktail down.Then I wrap the round rubber or silicone skirt material in place and the use three half hitch knots. I tie several types of bucktail jigs and i use different accents when tying. Failure is less than 1/2% in all the jigs spinnerbaits buzzbaits and blade baits.

facebook_1729784383118_7255241557250960953.jpg

Edited by bassjiggin1955

So what are the advantages of a bobbin in tying bass jigs. I dont use them for the simple fact they get in the way of tying period. when your using regular skirted jigs in silicone or round rubber or even bucktail. I pour and build 1000s of custom jigs a year for my customers and have been doing it since 1977. My business was always done well on all the baits I build. If it doesn't work for you then add a bobbin and glue. Ill pass.

A simple google search brings this up but I agree with all of the points listed.
others might not agree and thats fine.
to each their own.
But I much much a bobbin when I'm tying jigs!

A tying bobbin's primary advantage is that it allows for precise tension control on your tying thread, ensuring smooth and even wraps around the hook, which significantly improves the quality and durability of your jig while making the tying process more accurate and efficient; it also holds the spool of thread in place, preventing it from rolling around and maintaining consistent tension when you release the thread from your hand.

Key benefits of using a tying bobbin:
  • Tension control:
    The bobbin mechanism allows you to adjust the tension on the thread to suit the material you're wrapping, preventing breaks and ensuring even wraps around the hook. 

• Accurate wrapping:
    By maintaining consistent tension, the bobbin helps you wrap the thread more precisely and neatly around the hook. 

• Reduced thread waste:
    A bobbin prevents the thread from tangling or slipping off the spool, minimizing waste. 
  • Improved jig quality:
    Precise thread placement with a bobbin leads to a better-looking and more durable jig. 

• Ease of use:
    A good quality bobbin allows for smooth thread delivery, making the jig tying process easier and more enjoyable. 

• Different sizes for different needs:
    Depending on the jig size and material, you can choose a bobbin that best suits your requirements.