finlander

second treble on a bucktail spinner

I see it done several ways by commercial spinner makers. I tie bucktails directly onto my hooks so the way I have added a second hook and some weight is as follows: First I bend a closed loop in a 3" piece of stainless wire. I add as much extra weight as I want via an egg sinker slid on the shaft. Next I tied a good base of kevlar thread on hook shank #1 and leave the thread attached. I then lay the weighted wire along the shank of the first hook and through the eye. I bend the excess wire back along the shank of the hook and bind it down well with the kevlar thread. After I have it secured I coat it with head cement or super glue and leave it to dry for a few minutes before beginning to dress the first hook shank. This allows me to attach anything I want to the back of the first treble via a split ring to the closed loop wire. Sometimes I add a second dressed hook or even a second blade with a ball bearing swivel or a stingerhook with some plastic. Right or wrong I have no idea cause I just started doing muskie bucktails this winter. Maybe I should load test this setup before I loose a monster.

I just bought the trailer hooks at Bass Pro Shops on Sunday. Saw these hooks being used on a fishing video. The hooks are gamakatsu hooks,

"G-Stinger". The hooks have a loop of braided line snelled to the hook.

You loop over the origanal hook, and pass the hook thru the loop.

In the video they used them on spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. If area your fishing is weedy, place the hook so it is riding up. No weeds, place hook in down position. I can see a very good advantage to using these.

I plan on making my own hooks with line loop snelled to hooks.

I`m also going to tie either bucktail or rubber skirts on a hollow tube and put over stinger hook. You could use treble hooks also using this system.

PaBasser

I just bought a Mepps marabou and looked it over to see how it was pieced together. They drop a wire from the eye of the top hook. It is under the thread wraps of the top hook. At a seminar last night I saw the neatest way yet. One wire for the whole lure. The top hook is on a clevis, below the lure body and hair. The wire is long enough to hold another batch of hair with the last treble below that. I wish I could remember the brand name of that spinner. VooDoo tail is the name that just came to me. I remember seeing a weight on the shaft under the hair, but I don't know if it is a weighted coli or not.

I use the DO-IT mold for 2/0 snag trebles to make wieghted inlines and spinnerbaits, I use stainless wire from the eye of the treble and mold it in place with the lead and an eye in the wire at the bottom of the treble to attach the next hook. I also tie bucktail to the hook above the lead.