Fleury9816

Zara Spook Hooks

I like to replace many of my baits' hooks that come on them when I purchase. I usually buy the rotating excaliber treble to replace those sometimes horrible factory hooks. The problem I have been having is on the Original Zara Spooks, the hooks slide into a metal holder under the belly of the bait. The eye on the factory hooks are enlarged, more than a normal treble to get over that metal piece. The excaliber can not get over that metal piece due the the smaller eye size.

It's not a problem on other spooks not made by Heddon, the use split rings, but I am having a tough time finding a really sharp hook with that big eye to slide over the original Heddon Spooks metal hook holders.

Is there anyone that uses certain hooks and could offer the brand.

THank you!

I use excaliburs too the new Tx3's, to put any hooks on a spook the first thing you need to do is add a split ring between the factory hanger and the hooks. This will fix your problem and give the hook a much better range of motion.

That is the most obvious and easy solution! BRILLIANT! I can't believe I never thought of that. THanks so much!

The Spook is one of my favorite lures, and I fish them a lot. I remove the original hook hangers and replace them with a little screw-in hook eye cemented in place with epoxy (fill the original screw holes with epoxy as well). I do the same thing with the Jitterbug, and it works really well on both. It's kind of a hassle, but has greatly increased my strike-to-catch ratio on these baits.