davycrockett

Digital Camera

I have a little experience with digital cameras. I am by no means anywhere close to an expert, though. I am using a 3.2 Megapixel camera which is probably outdated compared to what is out there now. I have used several different cameras and I have to say, there is a big difference between some brands. I started with a Kodak camera. Junk! Then I got a Cannon and was happy with it. It did not have a optical zoom so I got a Sony with an optical zoom. It is also a good camera.

I would recommend getting an optical zoom on your camera. Some people may not know this, but digital zoom makes your pictures of lesser quality. Never use your digital zoom. Optical good, digital bad.

You are probably wanting a "point and shoot" camera. (I think that's what they call them). If you get a good name brand with an optical zoom it will have all the extra features you need.

As far as megapixels go, 3.2 gives me excellent quality photos. I think the only reason to go larger is if you want large prints (very large). I don't think a 6 Megapixel camera will give you any better quality than a 3.2 megapixel camera for computer purposes. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong. To be honest with you, I am not sure you can even get 3.2 megapixels anymore.

I would also recommend waiting until after Thanksgiving to make your purchase. There will be some KILLER deals out there on these. Just stay with a good name brand and don't get sucked into how many megapixels it has.

Hey i may be of some help....I am Manager at a best buy in Grand Rapids just never been in the digital camera dept. But i do know a bit about them. 3.2 mega-pixel is some what out dated as of what you will buy in stores now. if your only interested in 4 x 6 photos then 3.2 is fine when you start to blow pictures up for example on the computer you will want a larger mega-pixel i own a 5.0 Sony and am pretty happy with it

He is right about the optical zoom that is important and as far as waiting for the day after thanks giving for a deal on just a camera your wasting your time, if your out for other products then its a great day to shop....

As far as brands Cannon, Sony Olympus has a new camera out that's really good.....i would do some looking on-line for certain models because not every Sony is good not every Kodak is bad and so on....Stop by some of your local stores ( cough best buy) and just ask.

Dunno if that will help any or not but my 2 cents

A lot of people here know that I am a photojournalist, so cameras are something I know quite a bit about.

Here's the best advice I can give you: Stick to a camera made by a CAMERA company and not one made by a computer company. The glass used in the lenses is usually of a higher quality, which is far more important that megapixels.

On the topic of megapixels, don't get caught up in the numbers game. More is not always better. I have seen 3 megapixel cameras that produce better images than 6 megapixel cameras. Why? I personally believe it has more to do with the bit-depth at which the image is captured. This is just a hypothetical, so if my numbers are wrong here, don't get too upset...but let's suppose a 3 megapixel camera captures an image at 32-bit depth while the 6 captures at 16...you begin to see the picture. *warning personal opinion approaching* IMHO, when it comes to point-n-shoot cameras, which is where the largest market is for digital cameras, the megapixel count is more of a marketing ploy, e.g., mine has MORE! *personal opinion mode off now*

As has been stated, get one with a good optical zoom. If the camera you buy has a digital zoom option, turn it off so you don't accidentally use it. What digital zoom does, in effect, is crop your image and then interpolate the data to fill up the remainder of the file generated. This leads to lots of noise and pixellation. (noise is the digital equivalent of film grain)

I don't use point-n-shoots, but I do play with them frequently in order to help others make informed purchases. Currently, I'm a pretty large fan of the Nikon Coolpix and Canon Powershot lines.

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask me!

-Danny

those suggestions should get in the right direction. There is one thing I would like to give my 2 cents on: do yourself a favor and upgrade the memory card. Most of the cameras come with little memory cards and depending on the quality picture type you select, you may only get 15 pictures and the card is full.

Tally

Thanks for the advice, fellas. You mentioned upgrading the card, Tally. What size card would you recommend? I am considering a point n shoot as I want a camera that is foolproof :P So, a point n shoot with an optical zoom and larger mem. card. Any other suggestions? As stated before I am looking to get the "most bang for the buck". I dont want to skimp but dont want to pay top $ for something that will be obsolete tomorrow. Thanks again. :D

monstedrshadcopy2.jpg

Flatshadsizesminiregmaxi.jpg

The above were shot with a 3.2 megapixel Canon.

For what I paid for the 3.2, you can now purchase something in excess of 5 megapixels.

Stick with a name brand as others have mentioned.

It is my opinion that any name-brand 5 megapixel camera will probably serve you well until you begin making prints (enlargments) in excess of 11x14 inches or even larger.

If I were to hold two 11x14 prints side by side, one shot with an 8 megapixel camera and one with a 5 megapixel camera, the average person would probably struggle to tell the difference, if he or she could at all.

What I'd like to buy in my next digital is one with a through-the-lens focusing ability (also known as single lens reflex or SLR) so that I wouldn't have to rely on the tiny viewfinder found on most digitals, or that tiny little window one the side of the camera...which sucks battery power like crazy.

after selecting a camera, your next purchase should be a tri-pod. digital cameras are generally light weight, making them subject to vibration. To shoot the best photos with any camera, (especially close ups of your lures) a tri-pod is indespensible. I use a small one I bought for $5 at Big Lots. Makes it easy to set up on a table or workbench. To reduce vibration even further and increase sharpness, use the timer on your camera, that way you don't impart any movement while depressing the shutter-button.

Just my two cents worth after having sold several thousand photos to various magazines and newspapers.

Mitcheal