miketr20

Paca craws?

lurecraft has all three molds i brought the paca chunk from them and its nice. They are RTV and i wish there was someone that made an ALumnium one too. I owuld like a Beaver style body with the paca pinchers on it.. I think that would be a hot bait combo

I just poured these today! They look great but I haven't fished them yet. Was going to use them as a trailer for a jig but I see that the original calls for use as a trailer or on a ball head jig. Your thoughts? Also, I poured them pretty soft... are they soft or do the appentitures fall to the sides if you hold the body vertically?

Shawn

:( Looks like you could be right Mills. According to Tackle Warehouse:

"When a company goes to the trouble of putting a patent on the claws of a trailer you know the action and appearance must be something special. NetBait did exactly that with their Paca Chunk trailers. The patented design gives the claws of the Paca Chunk an action never before seen in a trailer. The Paca Chunk works great as a jig trailer or it can be fished on a round ball jig head. NetBait also incorporated a solid body on the Paca Chunk so this trailer will stay secure anyway it is fished."

So can you get a mold made for personal use?

I have no idea about the patent issue... I know that the mold I'm using is NOT a replica.... the PACA brand has antennas and a design on the claws. I was just curious as to how hard the bait itself is as the ones I poured are very soft (on purpose) but I'm thinking that may have an affect on the action (good or bad) not sure yet.

Shawn

I have made a mold of a beaver and used the paca claws instead of the split tail. Kind of a hybrid. One thing I can tell you is that the claws on my baits do not flutter like the claws on the Paca Craw. I think the reason is that the claws have a shape to them (when looked at on edge) that can't be replicated in a 1 piece mold. First chance you get take a look at one and you'll see what I'm talking about. The claws start out from the body looking thin and then get a little thicker. This difference in thickness is symetrical which is why it can't be replicated in a one piece mold. I think this is the secret to the famous flutter.

TJ

That's interesting... I'll have to order some originals to check them out. I have a little test tank and the one's I poured kinda wave as they fall. Also, when twiched off the bottom., the claws stay in the up position for about 4-5 second... kind of like that. Thanks so much for the info.

Shawn