printertom

bait pour room in the house WOW

hi i'm new here but just wonder what you guy would do if your wife said you can build your bait pour room you have always want. that happen to me this week and i have know spent close to 600 at the home depot in elec. fans light shelfs etc i have been down stair build all day just wondering what you put in your dream shops.

thomas

If I were doing this in a room in my house, I'd definately be looking for good vent hoods and vent them outdoors. I'd get a vent hood above every area you are going to pour at. If you have carpet, I'd buy something to protect it. It is inevitable that something will spill or splatter.

Peg board if you are going to peg bags...bench...stool...shelving....

Creature comforts are debatable but the must have is the exhaust fan. Doesn't take long to find that out.

I made a paint booth type affair with the microwave inside. A shelf above the microwave holds the Lee lead melter. Fumes are sucked out and sent outside via a dryer vent. Turn on the fan, the little flappers on the outside door open and create a negative pressure inside. Everything came from Home Depot.

Dave

I pour in my garage, and last fall i put in an old 20 inch LCD tv up on the wall on a swivel mount. It is a life saver. As anyone knows, as a small bait pourer there is a lot of downtime between heating plastic, letting it cool, etc etc. TV makes it so much easier to bear.

Im building my lake home next (not this) spring, and I plan to incorporate a bait pouring room in the basement. Be nice to only be 40 feet from a testing location :)

I would say:

1. 30gb IPOD with all your favorite jams on it.

2. Go on Ebay and get a cheap stereo and speakers to hook the IPOD to.

3. Shelves, plenty of them.

4. Couple spring clamps, a lot easier then the screws provided with the molds, saves time.

5. 3 Ring binder with recipes. Start writing down all the baits you make and give them names. Next time just look it up instead of guessing.

6. Smaller TV/DVD combo player, never hurts to watch classic patterns while pouring.

7. You WILL need a exhaust fan that goes to the outside.

8. Digital camera so you can post pics.

9. And finally, another woman that thinks the way your wife does so I can marry her. :lol:

Good luck, look forward to see some awesome baits...Jeff

After giving this some thought, I think you may have some problems. If you are already pouring, you know the fumes are terrible. If you have central heat and air, the ducts will pick up these fumes and distribute them throughout the house. NOT a good thing! I wouldn't recommend doing it. I am sure some of the guys that have been pouring for a while will support me in this.

If you don't have central heat and air, you need a way of venting the fumes out of the house. A vent-a-hood that is vented through the wall or out the roof would probably work. You need to seal the door that goes into the rest of the house real well to help keep the fumes out of there.

If you have children in the house, I wouldn't recommend it at all. I don't want to rain on your parade, but safety of yourself and your family should come first. Myself, I have an unattached garage that I pour in and I use a respirator while pouring. When I finish, I raise the big door to try to get rid of the fumes.

Do you have garage or a storage building that you could use?

I too have forced air heat and worried about the fumes.Would a vent to the outside be enough?My wife already scolded me about melting lead and now I just do it in the garage.Right now its 20 degrees outside though.How bad is the fumes from plastic anyway?The first thing I did when I bought my house is map out my work room in the unfinished basement.Looking back I see I cheated myself of a couple of feet.The kids got a nice playroom though.

Any of you guys with greater expertise on toxicity of plastic want to jump in and give these guys some info???

What I know is that the fumes will make you nauseas and give you a heck of a headache. (I didn't know about it when I started pouring.) I have heard from others on this forum that it is very toxic.

I do know about lead. I owned a jig business and my father had a radiator shop. Lead poisoning can cause you to lose your teeth, go mad, and kill you among other things. Lead (All heavy metals) are stored in fat in your body and it is nearly impossible to get it out once it gets in there. You should never eat, drink, or smoke (shouldn't smoke, it by itself will kill you) when working with lead. You need good ventilation or wear a respirator while pouring lead.

be pouring for about three years or so and can tell you i had my fell with the fumes thankk for all the input thougt as i said the early post i'm installing two 100 dollar exhaust fan with 4inch duct right to the great out doors and they are going to be in the wall right behind hot plate and the lee pots i have a few of them.they are supose to each be sufficant for 150spf. rooms and i'm only building a 8 by 16 feet 124spf

I have built/am building better my workshop. As far as ventilation goes I talked to some friends of mine who blow glass and needed big ventilation about what they used and they pointed me to this fan that I built a box for it moves 1600 cfm's it clears my whole basement in a couple of seconds and it w as cheap. I built a box around it mounted it to my window, and put a closing lid on the box so that cold air wouldn't come in my basement. I also insulated around the fan and it's a great little system. YOu'll never smell the plastic with that thing.

where to start, hmmm. well the bait shop is about 12x14 feet. its still in the works between making baits and working on the house since i moved in last summer. yes killer stereo, i have a mini fridge, tv/cable/phone will go in when i am not so busy. its in the basement in front of my garage. the room is sealed from the rest of the house. the bench by the large window has aluminum cabinet drawers under for storage and large plastic drawers from bench top to celing which hold scent/color/flake/ect. microwave sits in front of window which looks out to valley with pond and stream, horses ect. i have a high end stainless steel vent hood that sucks the fumes out like no ones bussiness. so much if you dont latch the door it pulls it open(also from room being sealed from house). i set up the molds on the right, pour them then move to left where bench goes other way across wall. you can pour move to aluminum cooling sheets then slide to package with impulse sealer, labels, bags. all prototyping tooling is stored in under cabinets, every light is flourescent. i have a $20 lowes heater to heat it since its been 15 degrees all the time. works well. i have to put up the peg board. i have one of those big round party buckets with rope handles, i put the 5 gallon bucket in it with a drill and mix the plastic, any spilling stays off floor and you can just pour out of party bucket. its an allright setup, lots of work to be done but its better than nothing, lol.

i have a friend who is a contractor so he redoes kitchens and the people just upgrade. it was just sitting there so he said i could have it, its mint! i run a 100watt brightness compact flourescent in it that only draws an actual 23 watts. the hood is made by NUTONE, its one of the higher end models. i have the wall studded and plywood, so i screwed the hood to it and used power pro braided line as 'cable' supports to hold the top to the wall. i opened the top of the window, put bubblepop shipping material to insulate. the top of the window stays open 3" all the time because of the houses overhang and i sealed the hood to the wall and window with ducttape and cardboard. its actually pretty nice and really works well. i would find a friend who does renovating or carpentry and i bet you could find a hood cheap or free. stainless does look nice though!