tje1989

Florida Lakes

I am going down to Florida in the beginining of March to go bass fishing. I will be fishing some lakes around the Orlando area. I have never been down there to fish before and I was wondering if anyone here fishes around there and could offer some tips.

What lures are good down in Florida?

What stage are the bass in during the first of March?

Any tips would be great.

Thanks, tje1989

plastic,plastic,plastic and did i say plastic worms. flukes,rattle traps,and always try some topwater baits early and late. plastics catch more fish in florida than any other baits. spawn starting to be over with south to central fla in shallow water lakes in march. might catch few spawners in the deeper clearer water lakes. in orlando,the downtown lakes tend to spawn a little later than say the kissimme chain. didnt say what part of florida you were coming to. north and south florida big difference in water temperatures,and how soon they warm up. best bet is to hire a guide. there a alot of them and someone on the forum could help you with that. pete s.

My great Uncle lives down there in Winter Haven. It is about 20 miles southwest of Orlando. He doesn't fish much so that is why I am asking around. Like I said I have never been down there before,but he has a friend that own 3 privates lakes on an Orange Groove where we will be fishing. I assume we will probably fish some other public lakes around that area too.

thanks,

tje1989

fish the private water. most fishing shows done in florida are done on private bodies of water. that is where most of the dependable fishing is left in fla. fla lakes experience a tremendous amount of fishing pressure,and the fish are effected by it. famous lk kissimme,winter haven chain,lk pierce,walk on water,istapoga all are near where you will be. be careful in march. the winds will be up and the shallow florida lakes can become extremely rough. pete s.

plastics in junebug, red shad-green flake,watermellon seed (dye the tail with chartreuse). jigs are hard to work with the trashy bottoms we have. spinnerbaits and fast moving baits all depends on mood of fish. fla bass very sensitive to weather and fishing pressure. famous for lock jaw. flipping very popular in fla. last advice fish plastics slow.