bassrecord

Big Hackle for Big Poppers

If you're going to use the hackles for palmering on those poppers, you're probably much better-off using webby saddle hackles. Since poppers sit in the water, and not on the water, soft saddle hackle gives much more action and movement, and the webby-ness bulks up the fly/lure better. Spikey dry fly hackles just don't have the same 'life' to them.

Soft saddle hackle is also considerably easier to find, and much less costly than dry fly hackle. Right now I'm using some 'schlappen' hackles by J. Fair. The feathers measure a good 8" overall, and are strung. A web search using those terms will locate several dealers. I get them from my local flyshop.

If you're really looking for dry fly hackle, I'm not aware of a source for the size you want.

Good luck.

Yes I have used Jay's Schlappen by picking out the driest. Also I've cherry-picked salt water hackle and Clouser hackle in the same way.

I agree with you that webby hackle gives more undulating action in water much like marabou and I prefer them on big minnow imitating topwater patterns for stripers.

I try to design my terrestrials, moth, and impressionistic patterns to ride on the surface not below it. My goal is to have them stick in the meniscus. But heavy web attracts and holds water which adds to the weight of big poppers being cast. After casting all day, they seem to get much, much heavier from 3 to 5:00 pm . Plus "wet" webby bugs do not dry as much in the back cast and tend to penetrate the meniscus faster with less surface attraction, IMHO.

For me it's a tough balancing act trying to match hackle to big bodies. What makes it difficult to find these feathers is that no one grows chickens for large feathers - the market is for small. Often it seems when I do find big ones and start to tie, the stems are too stiff and split when winding . Years ago I learned to wind thread through palmered hackle to armor-plate it against wear and tear of casting and fishing.

Thanks for your help.

John

Yeah, like you said, there's the rub-- the market wants hackle for the teeny flies, and that's what gets developed/ordered/stocked on the shelves.

I know what you mean, for some of my larger saltwater patterns, I need soft hackle that's not too webby. It is indeed a fine line. Seems like sometimes you just get lucky and find what you need. Often the cheaper brands of strung saddle feathers are the right stuff for poppers and saltwater flies, but like bucktails, you still gotta pick through 'em to find exactly the right ones (and quality) for your application. Mail order makes that tough.

For much of my tying, I've tried to switch over to synthetics, in an effort to reduce the variability of material quality. Synthetic hackle in the size you need does exist-- some 'stiffer' than others-- and would solve at least a few of the problems you mentioned. Feather length becomes moot, 'barb' length is assured and consistent, the material repels water and doesn't get 'soaked', and it dries quickly on the backcast. Color won't fade either. CCT makes some good stuff. Worth a try, since whichever synthetic hackle you tested would undoubtedly work for one application or another. Click here: http://www.cascadecrest.com/group.asp?grp=91

Best of luck.

Thanks. Good post. Their synthetics look like good trade-offs: Feather length is moot but two yards for $7.95 is pricey. hackle size is either 3/4" or 1 1/4" or you can trim it but it looks trimmed, "barbules" are consistent but it still behaves more like Schlappen. It won't rot like feathers and the colors should be more wild which bass like. Maybe it wouyld help offset the weight of the hook's bend and let the tail float higher. Sounds like it's worth testing out!

Thanks again.

John